FO: Phildar Sweater #1 : Ms 2 Week Leafy

Wow, I just realized that this has to be about the quickest knit that I've ever made (not including mini projects)! Ms 2 Week Leafy Sweater (aka Phildar Sweater #1) is now complete. And now for some FO details, accompanied with the same old photo poses as per usual (I swear I did try and take photos of myself out in the garden but the sun shone too brightly and the leaf detail became lost).
Details
Pattern: Sweater #1, from Phildar Tendances 460, Hiver 06/07. I knit this in French size 34/36 (the smallest).Yarn: Bendigo Woollen Mills Aran in Seamist. At first I wasn't so sure about my colour choice, but with a bit of encouragement from the lovely Andrea, I persisted with it and am actually quite pleased with how it ended up turning out.

Needles: I did the ribbing on US 5 / 3.75mm needles and the rest of the knit on US 7/4.5mm needles. I did most of it on circulars, but did the sleeves on flats.


Comments and Modifications: Lots! I had seen a few on ravelry and while they were nice, I was concerned about 1. the length 2. the neckline and 3. the tendency for reverse stockinette to show up "lines" of uneven tensioning. To address this, I did the following:

1. The length - I knit 5cm of ribbing instead of the 1.5cm that was required in the pattern. I probably should've done just a fraction more as I like my sweaters a bit longer, but as is, it is currently sitting on my hips.

I also changed shortened the sleeve length just a tad. I started shaping at 25cm, rather than 28cm as called for in the pattern. Also, in regards to the armcyth issue, it blocked out fine in the end :)


2. The neckline - Most of the other necklines I saw were very wide and somewhat floppy, as if there was too many stitches picked up around the neckline. I didn't want an incredibly large scoop neck, so I altered my neckline. Instead of the decreases called for, I cast off 10 stitches in centre of neckline, then on neckline edge, cast off 3 sts once, 2 sts four times, and 1st four times.

I also wanted a small dip in my back neckline edge, rather than the completely flat one in the pattern, so I altered my neckline by casting off 12 st at centre, then from each edge of back neckline, I cast off a further 8 sts once and then 6 sts once.


3. Lines of uneven tension - Simple solution! Knit in round instead of flat!

The only other thing I want to comment on is having to seam reverse stockinette and setting the sleeves in on this. It was a pain to say the least. I usually don't mind seaming, but having to seam it on reverse stockinette made it really tough for me as it kept going wonky and uneven. Even now I'm not entirely happy with the set in sleeves, but I'll leave it and see if it continues to bother me or not and if it does, then I'll revist.

Verdict? Overall, an easy knit with a fairly easy chart to follow.

5 comments:

  Anonymous

2:25 AM, December 24, 2008

I love this sweater. I actually found the pattern - but its in French! how did you translate? any advice?

  chookie

6:05 PM, December 27, 2008

Sorry i can't help - my pattern was in english!

  Dóri

9:54 PM, November 20, 2009

Someone, please, send me this pattern, I cant buy it since I'm in Hungary... But I love this sweater very much.

  Paula

11:33 PM, April 21, 2010

Any advice on where to get the pattern? I can't find it on the phildar site anymore. I love the color you chose!

  Unknown

2:08 AM, July 27, 2018

I really liked your Information. Keep up the good work. Occupational Rehabilitation Kalgoorlie